What is an arboretum?
- Grows and keeps labeled collections of woody plants which grow in a given locality
- Introduces plants into cultivation from the wild by selecting superior forms of indigenous plants or by importing and selecting plants from other climatically similar regions around the world
- Maintains accurate records of plant collections through herbarium samples, plant records and maps of plantings
- Performs scientific investigations, such as, plant breeding
- Maintains library collections of relevant literature
- Disseminates information to the public through educational programs, workshops, and publications.