This race has become a favorite with people who love not only the challenge of the changing elevations, but also the opportunity to take in one of the loveliest places to run (or walk!) in the Eastern United States. There are awards for the winning runners, of course, but many people come to walk or run - just because! Please, no dogs on race day!
The Landis Perennial Forest 5K Run/Walk is scheduled for August 15. As we write, it appears that New York State will be open for business at that time, so we are cautiously optimistic that the race will be able to go on, with health-conscious practices in place. Online registration is now active here.
In this Covid - 19 environment please exercise caution. If you are not feeling well, on race day, please don’t come. You will have the option to donate, defer, or get a refund on your entry fee. Please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org if you will not be attending for this reason.
We are putting the following practices in place to protect participants, observers, and volunteers:
- There will be no paper registration this year, and NO DAY OF RACE REGISTRATION – NO EXCEPTIONS. Participants can register online right up to the day before the race. (Early registration is by July 24; ONLY THOSE WHO REGISTERED BY JULY 24 WILL RECEIVE A SHIRT THIS YEAR.) If there are changes in the state’s rules for activities that require cancellation of the race, registration fees will be refundable with the exception of the processing fees charged by RunSignUp.
- Registration will be limited to 120 runners/walkers to help control spacing.
- The Landis Arboretum is in Schoharie Co., part of the COVID-19 Mohawk Valley Region and currently in Phase 4. As of this time outdoor groups are limited to a maximum of 40 people. We've created 4 waves with 4 start times: 8AM, 9AM, and 10AM. In the event that NYS increases the group sizes allowed, we will contact you. The race will be chip timed, ensuring that the wave you are in will not affect your final race outcome.
- You may not arrive at the Arboretum earlier than 40 minutes prior to the start of your wave; you will be able to do race check-in 30 minutes prior to the beginning of your wave.
- No observers will be allowed, with the exception of one responsible adult who is required to accompany minor child participants.
- Everyone who participates (or a responsible adult guardian in the case of minor child participants) must complete the online waiver. In addition, participants must print out the waiver using a form that includes the names and contact information for runners and in the case of minor child participants, the responsible adult accompanying the runner. The waiver to be printed and returned at check in can be found here.
- Entrants will be required to wear masks at check-in, at the staging area (pre and post) unless eating / drinking, and while in aid stations
- Responsible adults accompanying minor child participants will be masked at all times. Please see guidance on mask use here.
- Volunteers are required to wear masks when in close (within 6 feet) and/or sustained contact with entrants or other volunteers, or while in contact with any shared equipment.
- Entrants are not required to wear masks while running, but must be considerate and safe in spacing while passing others on the course.
- Hand sanitizers and wipes will be available in the bathroom facilities, but runners/walkers, observers, and volunteers are strongly encouraged to bring their own hand sanitizer, using pre / post contacting any common surfaces and very much including portajohns.
- “Hot-Spot” States and Communities, Exposure, and Risk:
- Any entrant with fever, persistent cough, or with exposure to an individual who is / was COVID positive within 7 days of the event are asked not to race this year, and will have registrations rolled into 2021.
- Any entrant deemed at heightened risk for complications due to exposure are encouraged to differ their entry to 2021.
- Per our NYS Permitting, we can only accept entrants who are residents of New York State. While we can’t check the authenticity of all entrants, we’ll go off of entrant’s RunSignUp address and hold to the honor system. Per NYS regulations, entrants who have spent time in States deemed by NYS to be “hot-spots” are NOT allowed to participate unless they have completed a 14 day quarantine within NYS 14 days or more prior to the event. Click here for a list of the affected states.
- Volunteers will be masked and will wear gloves. Participants will be masked except when participating in the actual race.
- Observers will be masked at all times. This applies to all, from two years of age and above. Please see guidance on mask use here.
- Race packets will be prepared in advance and handed off by gloved and masked volunteers who will also accept completed contact information forms.
- Sanitary wipes and hand sanitizer will be available, but participants and observers are encouraged to bring their own for any time they much touch a frequent-touch surface.
- There will be no post-race activities. Awards will be mailed.
We believe that with your cooperation, we can run a safe and fun race this year. Please contact David Roy at 315-427-3856 with any questions.
COURSE: The 5K run takes you on a tour of the Landis Arboretum public garden. The majority of the race is set among the Arboretum's many trails, ranging from woodlands to fields with rolling hills.
AWARDS FOR RUNNERS: Overall Male and Female, 1st Male & Female in each age group: Under 9, 10-14, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80+ and Team.
SHIRTS: T-Shirts available only to participants registered by JULY 24. Later registration may be completed through August 14 2020.