What does an arboretum do?
- Grows and keeps labeled collections of woody plants which grow in a given locality
- Introduces plants into cultivation from the wild by selecting superior forms of indigenous plants or by importing and selecting plants from other climatically similar regions around the world
- Maintains accurate records of plant collections through herbarium samples, plant records and maps of plantings
- Performs scientific investigations, such as, plant breeding
- Maintains library collections of relevant literature
- Disseminates information to the public through educational programs, workshops, and publications.
What makes Landis Arboretum special?
- Landis is a beautiful site that straddles Schoharie and Montgomery counties.
- Landis is one of only three arboreta in eastern North America with old-growth forests - and Landis has TWO!
- Trees and shrubs from around the world grow at Landis, along with noteworthy native collections.
- Our collection of oaks of the Northeast is nationally recognized.
- The charming Van Loveland perennial gardens welcome visitors three seasons of the year.
- You will find 8+ miles of hiking/walking trails, and wetlands across our many acres
- We are a designated part of the Bluebird Trail
- We host year-round programs – for kids of all ages!