Come view the stars and planets in Landis' dark skies with members of the Albany Area Amateur Astronomers. A variety of telescopes will be set up for viewing the heavens, revealing nebulae, star clusters, galaxies, double stars, planets, and other celestial objects.
Star Party dates and times for 2019 are:
March 29, Friday, 8:30 pm
March 30, Saturday, 8:30 pm
May 3 , Friday, 9:00 pm
May 4, Saturday, 9:00 pm
May 31, Friday, 10:00 pm
June 1, Saturday, 10:00 pm
June 28, Friday, 10:00 pm
June 29, Saturday, 10:00 pm
July 26, Friday, 9:30 pm
July 27, Saturday, 9:30 pm
August 15, Annual Meeting and Star Party, Thursday, 7:30 pm
August 30, Friday, 8:30 pm
August 31, Saturday, 8:30 pm
September 27, Friday, 8:00 pm
September 28, Saturday, 8:00 pm
October 25, Friday, 8:00 pm
October 26, Saturday, 8:00 pm
November 22, Friday, 8:00 pm
November 23, Saturday, 8:00 pm
General Star Party information:
- Guests of all ages are always welcome. Club activities, including public Star Parties at Landis Arboretum, are free and open to the public.
- In cold weather it is very important to dress warmly - and you will NOT be warm if you do not wear a hat. Wear boots if it's snowy. You will be outdoors and it is very easy to get chilled when you are inactive; it feels 15 to 20 degrees colder. Even cool weather requires extra clothing.
- Feel free to bring your own telescope. We are happy to answer questions about using or buying a telescope. There are many poor quality telescopes and a lot of misleading advertising on the market, so learn the basics before purchasing a telescope. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of our brief introduction to telescopes and a buying guide.
- Please do not smoke near the telescopes. Smoke can damage the optical coatings in a telescope. Also avoid applying insect repellents from spray cans when standing near the telescopes.
- Star Parties normally last at least one hour and generally go longer if the sky conditions are good, but there is no guarantee people will still be observing if you arrive more than an hour after the starting time. You can arrive anytime during the star party and stay as long as you want. A brief introductory talk will be given near the Meeting House about 15 minutes after the scheduled beginning of the star party. This will include a short guided tour of the prominent constellations in the night sky.
On very rare occasions, other circumstances may force cancellation. It is always wise to verify that the Star Party is being held. (To always be up-to-date on information, join the club's Yahoo group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/astro_albany/info ). For more information on the Albany Area Amateur Astronomers, including activities, membership, and lots of great links, check out the club's website at dudleyobservatory.org/AAAA/
Location: Meeting House
Members and non-members: free. Donations to the Arboretum gratefully accepted.